CANCER-FIGHTING FOODS PART II
In my last fitness tip, I wrote of my Aunt May dying of breast cancer and how her illness and death impacted me inprofound ways. I also wrote of five foods high on the list of cancer-fighting foods according to Erin Dummert, RD, CD. Here are five more foods to add to that list:
1) PUMPKIN: Pumpkin, carrots, squash, red and yellow peppers, and sweet potatoes are foods that are excellent sources of beta carotene. When eaten regularly, these foods help reduce the risk of many types of cancer due to their potent antioxidant capacity.
2) SPINACH: Spinach, the “gold standard” of green leafy vegetables, is packed with lutein and vitamin E. These powerful antioxidants help fight off cancer of the liver, ovaries, colon, and prostate.
3) GARLIC: Garlic has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer of the stomach, esophagus, and breast. When cooking with garlic, mince the garlic 10 minutes beforehand to increase its cancer fighting potential.
4) PINEAPPLE: Pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain, which may protect against breast and lung cancer, and is a good source of the antioxidant vitamin C.
5) APPLES: Apples contain the plant chemical quercetin, which has been shown to slow the growth of prostate cancer cells and reduce the risk of lung cancer, not to mention their antioxidant benefits.
According to Erin Dummert, RD, CD, the best anti-cancer diet is rich in brightly colored fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and emphasizes the ten foods discussed in last month’s and this month’s fitness tips. Additionally, foods have a synergistic effect when eaten together, meaning that “plant chemicals work together to produce a greater effect than if they were working alone.”
Here’s a sample, synergistic menu incoporating the top 10 cancer-fighting foods:
Yogurt smoothie with mixed berries and soy milk
Apple with peanut butter
Spinach wrap with mandarin oranges and broccoli sprouts
Cottage cheese and pineapple
Baked wild salmon with caramelized onions and garlic
Pumpkin soup or baked sweet potato
Continue to live a strong, energetic, and cancer-free life by incorporating these cancer-fighting foods and suggestions into your lifestyle today!!!
Certified Personal Trainer
Fit for Life!