Our daily lives can bring about lots of inner heaviness and stress, and if we don’t take the time to bring out the child within, laugh and be silly, it is hard to let go and truly live. Here are some ideas for having summer fun:
1. Plan regular summer picnics or barbecues. Bring a croquet set, Frisbee or soccer ball along. Don’t worry about making everything perfect. Just have fun and enjoy!
2. Organize a sports day. Get everyone together to play your favorite sports such as baseball/softball, sand volleyball, soccer, basketball, ultimate Frisbee….you name it! Group sports makes for plenty of laughs and unforgettable moments with those you love.
3. Camp. Get out into the wilderness and enjoy nature. Camping is fun for the whole family! Dare yourself to get a little grungy and live like a nomad.
4. Summer concerts. Check your local paper for summer concerts. It doesn’t matter if you take in a classical concert or see your favorite band – just go. Getting out among people having a blast lifts the spirit and spurs creativity. Plus, there are all sorts of great community concerts that are free!
5. Take a bike ride. Pull out your old bike, dust off the cobwebs and go riding! You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy the thrill of riding through the open air. Freedom will be yours!
6. Reach out. Figure out how you can give of yourself to make someone else’s summer beautiful. Maybe there is a child or elderly person who could benefit from you sharing your favorite summer spots with them! Brainstorm on how you can make a difference in someone else’s life.
7. Go on a Road Trip. Set out on a road trip to discover new spots! Why not head out by yourself for a couple days? Go and explore while either camping along the way or staying in Bed and Breakfasts. Take along some great books, your camera, running or hiking shoes, a sketch pad…the sky is the limit!
These are just a handful of ideas…why not suggest a few of your own? Any ideas?
We can make this summer the best ever — all it takes is a bit of gumption and imagination and we’re on our way!!
– Jen Engevik
Project BE Bold